There are three pool contractor license types:
- Commercial contractors can...
- Build new pools/spas
- Renovate existing pools/spas
- Service residential and commercial pools/spas
- Residential contractors can...
- Build new residential pools/spas
- Renovate existing commercial and residential pools/spas
- Service commercial and residential pools/spas
- Service contractors can...
- Service/repair commercial (some restrictions) and residential pools/spas
- Renovate existing commercial (some restrictions) and residential pools/spas
- Excludes all new construction
- Be at least 18 years old
- Bachelor’s degree (in the appropriate field) and 1 year of proven experience OR 4 years of active field experience (may substitute up to 3 years of college credits for experience)
- Demonstrate financial responsibility and stability
- Submit to fingerprinting for a background check
- Proof of public liability and property damage insurance and workers’ compensation or exemption
- Taken and passed the examination
FAC, grants examination candidates four years from the date he or she initially sat for the initial
licensure examination to pass all portions and are not be limited in
the number of times they may re-take a test during the four year period.
If you have any questions, visit http://www.myfloridalicense.com/DBPR/construction-industry/
or call 850-487-1395.
Information on the state contractor's exam can be found here: www.myfloridalicense.com/DBPR/examination-information/construction-examinations/